California Paralegal Directory
California Paralegals, Legal Assistant
California Paralegal and Legal Document Assistants, known as LDA’s assist lawyers with legal services. California Paralegal and California Legal Document Assistants ( LDA ) can help with legal forms and document preparation regarding divorce, child support, custody modifications, small claims, right to lien, release of liens, simple wills, name change, quitclaim deeds and promissory notes.
In most judicial systems, a California Paralegal and Legal Document Assistants ( LDA ) can do any functions that most lawyers do except actual court litigation and giving legal advice. Legal advice may only be given by a qualified licensed lawyer.
California Paralegal and California Legal document assistants
the following functions under the guidance of a lawyer:
- Conduct legal research, including procedural, administrative, or case law.
- Conduct investigations and record searches.
- Locate and interview witnesses for dispositions.
- Draft legal documents, correspondence and pleadings.
- Document retrieval and filing in court.
- Keep track of and report any pending legislation that may affect clients.
- Prepare medical summaries and chronologies.
- Attend executions of wills, real estate closings, depositions, court or administrative hearings and trials with the lawyer.
- Interview client to gather facts and background information.
- Assist in preparing witnesses for court hearings.
- Service of subpoenas and summonses.
- Bilingual legal translation services.
Five things a California Paralegal and Legal Document Assistant
cannot do are:
1) An California Paralegal cannot give legal advice.
2) An California Paralegal cannot develop the lawyer-client relationship.
3) The California Paralegal cannot sign papers on behalf of the client.
4) The California Paralegal cannot represent a client in court.
5) The California Paralegal cannot set and collect legal lawyer fees.
These functions are considered the practice of law. Different judicial systems have different requirements for Paralegal and Legal Document Assistants ( LDA ). Federal and State laws and judicial system policies are continually under review. When selecting a California Paralegal or legal document assistant (LDA) from the California Paralegal Directory always ask about the particular constraints in their practicing area. ADR means Alternative Dispute Resolution.
If legal action is necessary, before contacting a California Lawyer or California Paralegal, we suggest that you educate yourself on California law and the legal process by reading the books mentioned in our recommended reading section.